Friday, May 28, 2010

Greek Burger


If you are planning to flip burgers this Memorial Day weekend - and let’s face it, who isn’t - consider this mouth-watering Greek burger for an unexpected change.  YUM.....and happy grilling!
Greek Burger Recipe
Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef
½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
1 small red onion, chopped
1 large garlic clove, minced
¼ cup kalamata olives, chopped
½ tablespoon oregano, fresh chopped
greek seasoning, to taste
4 small green leaf lettuce leaves, rib removed
1 tomato, very thinly sliced
¼ english cucumber, thinly sliced
4 pocket pitas, cut 1/3 off top
4 peperoncini peppers, garnish, optional
tzatziki sauce (recipe below)
Preparation:
Add onions, garlic, cheese, olives, oregano and greek seasoning to ground beef and mix thoroughly.
Divide ground beef into four patties and grill, either outside or on indoor grill.
To serve: Put a lettuce leaf in pita pocket and add a burger. Top with cucumber slices and a tomato slice. Drizzle with tzatziki sauce and garnish with a peperoncini and extra feta.

TZATZIKI SAUCE:
1 cup Greek yogurt
lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 small cucumber, seeded and diced
1 T. finely chopped dill
1 garlic clove
salt
pepper
Mix all ingredients and refrigerate until ready to use.

3 comments:

In The Kitchen With Johnny said...

I have never tried Greek food. My mom and dad are going to take me to a local place that just opened soon. It sounds good!

Unknown said...

Well, I guess you could call me "the official taster". I live nearby and find myself called numerous times to try something. This Greek Bruger did it for me. It was really a wonderful change from the run of the mill burger; and the pita saves you from all of that bun.

Nancie McDermott said...

My husband will ADORE this recipe. I can't let him see the photo until I have the ingredients though; he'd be too sad not to have it for real. Better plant some cukes for the tzaziki sauce (which I ought to be able to spell without looking back, but can't).